I am 48 and embarking on what will be my 4th
career, I want to know that there are opportunities waiting for me once I
graduate from the paralegal course and write my licensing exams. This blog will
be all about that. I want to explore the field as I study.
Before I applied, I did a little research and talked with a
few key people to answer some basic questions about the ground rules. First,
how big is the field and second, would I like to play there? The answers are
still coming in but at this point I can say that the field looks pretty big and
I am intrigued enough to venture in.
Though this may sound simple, I started to see that bullying
in society, not just schools, is rampant. I guess I didn’t really pay attention
to the point that would avail me a way to respond until a couple months ago.
Tucked away in my own little world, I could safely control most situations to
some sort of tolerable outcome. I saw
the problem- bullies with power. Then I saw a way I could help. I could be someone
who had enough answers to bring relief to a bullied someone without them.
I talked to a lawyer and found that she had many good things
to say about the paralegal she had on staff and more good news about the field
in general. She described the opportunities and thought I was a good fit. I
soldiered on, was accepted to the program and here I am. After a couple weeks
of classes I am overwhelmed and reminding myself daily that this is a process
that will lead me into a field I intend to explore well before I get to it.
I plan to go beyond personal exploration which requires us
all to reflect on our own values and desires. I aim to provide you with articles, comments,
associations, newsletters and statistics to clarify the view of the paralegal
field. I want to see the lay of the land and see what changes are coming to it
and then pass it all on to you. Along the way I will find it most encouraging
and helpful to know your thoughts and comments. Perhaps we can broaden the view
if we do this together. If you tell me what you can see from your standpoint,
maybe we’ll see this more clearly. I’ll come back to that…
I read an article in the Law Times News (www.lawtimesnew.com) which questions if
it is time to expand the territory of the paralegal. Yamri Taddese discusses
the reactions to this idea. She quotes Victoria Starr, Chairwoman of the Family
Lawyers Association:
“This
isn’t about lawyers making money or paralegals making money. This isn’t about
turf. This is about protecting the public,’
There appears to be much concern over the types of
expansions and the limits put on each. In family law and immigration law there
are many issues to consider before opening up the field for paralegals to
assist. Discussion over creating opportunity for graduates and keeping
harmonious relationships among paralegals and lawyers are subjects ongoing.
For now, I’d love to know where your interests lie. Do you
aspire to work in areas of law currently not open to paralegals? If so, which
ones and why?
No comments:
Post a Comment